BBC Four were tweeting a-plenty last night about Pop Quiz – The Comeback airing, including a couple of retro images of Toyah from previous Pop Quiz guest appearances (in 1981 and 1984).
Toyah has paid tribute to George Michael, who died on Christmas Day – “My deepest condolences to all George Michael’s loved ones, friends & fans. This has come as a complete shock. He was a mighty talent“. I always thought Wham! were a great pop band. A perfect five-year career, with lots of happy memories and music. Rest in Peace, George Michael.
The Hare Festival runs from March 25th to September 10th 2017. You too can get involved in next year’s event, by becoming a sponsor, buying merchandise, decorating your own hare, and/or supporting via a donation.
Great photos by Damon King from Toyah Willcox and the Great British Panto, the festive event held at the V&A, London last Tuesday evening. Click below to view more photos from the discussion between Toyah and Simon Sladen. (Photos © Damon King)
BBC Four at Twitter marked Toyah’s iconic, classic and utterly unforgettable Be Proud Be Loud (Be Heard) repeated Top Of The Pops studio appearance tonight with some tweets, including this… In 1982, Toyah was so famous, she even had a lion-tailed macaque named after her on Animal Magic, and appeared on the show to meet it, and this… Toyah’s friend and erstwhile #TOTP presenter Kenny Everett was also on TV this week (his show was repeated on @BBCTwo on 20 October 1982). Click below to watch the show at BBC iPlayer. It’s also repeated.
The bumper double Christmas issue of Radio Times has just been published, the BBC Christmas idents are here, I’ve just finished writing my Christmas cards, and you can’t move for crazy people in the supermarket – this can all only mean one thing – Christmas is officially… here!!!
Here’s a round up of all things festive related to Toyah:
• Toyah on Christmas TV: Vintage TV are repeating festive Toyah specials from previous Christmas times, including A Very Vintage Christmas and Toyah’s Christmas At The Zoo. There’s also a repeat of Most Shocking Christmas TV Moments on Channel 5.
• Toyah Willcox & The Great British Panto: A festive special at the V&A, London: Toyah will be in conversation with Senior Curator and Pantomime Editor of the British Theatre Guide, Simon Sladen on Tuesday 13th December.
• Home For Christmas:“Robert is home any min after 4 months touring and being teetotal….his request… giant margarita“.
• Pop Quizzing at Christmas: The original BBC Pop Quiz returns for two Christmas specials to air on BBC4. Toyah is guesting in one of these, both of which are being recorded at Media City, Salford on Thursday 15th December.
• Christmas at Fripp/Cox: Yuletide 2016 arrived at Robert and Toyah’s place mid November. See the lights.
• Christmas Live 2016: Toyah played a festive gig with The SAS Band at the weekend – There’s also the Birmingham Walk of Stars event, which is sure to have a festive feel, being so close to Christmas.
• A Dreamscape Crimbo: Drop by next week for some more Toyah festiveness at Dreamscape. Yes, December Will Be Magic… Again!
• Official Toyah: Toyah To be Honoured On The Birmingham Walk Of Stars: Toyah Willcox and Don Maclean are to be honoured with a star on Birmingham’s Walk of Stars in Broad Street. The pair will be awarded their stars during a special show hosted by Walk of Stars’ chairman Jasper Carrott at the Birmingham Rep from 2.30pm on Sunday 11 December (Photo © Official Toyah) – Continue reading…
• The Edinburgh Reporter: Paul Young chats to the Edinburgh Reporter about 80s Invasion Tour: Due to overwhelming public demand after this year’s hugely successful run, the ‘80’s Invasion’ tour is back in 2017 with four iconic artists from the decade performing on the same bill. The new line-up features Paul Young – one of the most popular solo artists from the era, legendary pop punk princess Toyah, Liverpool’s finest guitar duo China Crisis and for the first time performing in the UK in over 25 years, flying in especially from the USA the gorgeous Martika! – Continue reading…
• Live 2016: Toyah @ Twitter: “SpikesSASBand sounded awesome in rehearsals yesterday” – Continue reading…
• Star Magazine: Leslie Ash returning to Quadrophenia ‘follow-up’ – report: Quadrophenia star Leslie Ash is reportedly returning to star in a ‘follow-up’ to the mods and rockers movie classic – Earlier this year it was revealed that To Be Someone, a new film featuring Quadrophenia stars Phil Daniels and Toyah Willcox, would begin filming in 2016 – Continue reading…
Check out Toyah’s Official Twitter for lots of updates on the Broad Street Walk Of Stars news, and other recent appearances, including a visit to Our Disappearing Planet and the arrival of Christmas at Fripp/Cox Towers! (Photo © Official Toyah)
• Live 2016: Toyah is guesting with The SAS Band at two more gigs towards the end of the year, at The Brook in Southampton on 30th November, and G Live in Surrey on 3rd December. More info at the Official Gig page…
• Director Toyah: Toyah may be adding yet another string to her bow. She revealed late last month that she has been asked to direct a film…
• The Last Laugh: Another new film role for Toyah. Read further info on this at toyahwillcox.com…
• The Last Laugh: Toyah was filming again in Hull this week…
Toyah was very pleased she wasn’t the first to leave Pointless Celebrities on Saturday.
Toyah guested on Lorraine on ITV this morning. Talking the forthcoming 80s Invasion Tour, the never ending interest in the 1980s, gigs, films and much more. (Photo © ITV)
A selection of photos shared over the last few days by Toyah/Official Toyah:
1. Some intriguing news coming tomorrow…. #fashion, 2. A new photo from Gary Clutterbuck’s recent photo shoot, revealed today to promote the 80s Invasion Tour ticket pre-sale opening, 3. Toyah tweeted yesterday: “A hot day on HOUND….but lots of fun“, 4. Toyah and Alec Porter, lead actor from Crime and Punishment. Click below to visit Toyah @ Instagram. (Photos © 1/3/4. Toyah Willcox, 2. Gary Clutterbuck)
The much anticipated Crime and Punishment: A Rock Opera – as it’s now being called on Twitter – opened last night at The Scoop Theatre, London. Toyah was in attendance to support the premiere performance and hear THIRTEEN of her songs as they’ve never been heard before, and TWO of those, new Willcox/Darlow compositions, had never ever been heard before. Crime and Punishment continues tonight and every Wednesday through to Sunday until 25th September.
Get ready for Crime and Punishment, part of The Scoop’s FREE Open Air Theatre, from tonight, which includes Toyah music – old and new! Keep an eye on Scoop @ Twitter for updates.
Toyah plays Rewind Scotland this weekend in Perth. She tweeted photos of a fab ring she will wear and festival rehearsals… Click below to browse all of Dreamscape’s Rewind Scotland 2016 news, and wishing Toyah a fantastic time in glorious Perth (my Mum’s birthplace!).