BBC Four at Twitter marked Toyah’s iconic, classic and utterly unforgettable Be Proud Be Loud (Be Heard) repeated Top Of The Pops studio appearance tonight with some tweets, including this… In 1982, Toyah was so famous, she even had a lion-tailed macaque named after her on Animal Magic, and appeared on the show to meet it, and this… Toyah’s friend and erstwhile #TOTP presenter Kenny Everett was also on TV this week (his show was repeated on @BBCTwo on 20 October 1982). Click below to watch the show at BBC iPlayer. It’s also repeated.
Such sad news – Greg Lake, legendary bass guitarist and writer of the greatest Christmas song, I Believe in Father Christmas, died yesterday. Read The Guardian’s tribute to Greg here.
Celebrity Ghost Stories UK: CI: Wednesday 21st December: 2am
Sue Cook reveals creepy encounters with a malevolent nutcracker and a UFO, Toyah Willcox speaks of a spooky apparation, and Alex Fearns discusses sinister sounds he caught on tape.
The bumper double Christmas issue of Radio Times has just been published, the BBC Christmas idents are here, I’ve just finished writing my Christmas cards, and you can’t move for crazy people in the supermarket – this can all only mean one thing – Christmas is officially… here!!!
Here’s a round up of all things festive related to Toyah:
• Toyah on Christmas TV: Vintage TV are repeating festive Toyah specials from previous Christmas times, including A Very Vintage Christmas and Toyah’s Christmas At The Zoo. There’s also a repeat of Most Shocking Christmas TV Moments on Channel 5.
• Toyah Willcox & The Great British Panto: A festive special at the V&A, London: Toyah will be in conversation with Senior Curator and Pantomime Editor of the British Theatre Guide, Simon Sladen on Tuesday 13th December.
• Home For Christmas:“Robert is home any min after 4 months touring and being teetotal….his request… giant margarita“.
• Pop Quizzing at Christmas: The original BBC Pop Quiz returns for two Christmas specials to air on BBC4. Toyah is guesting in one of these, both of which are being recorded at Media City, Salford on Thursday 15th December.
• Christmas at Fripp/Cox: Yuletide 2016 arrived at Robert and Toyah’s place mid November. See the lights.
• Christmas Live 2016: Toyah played a festive gig with The SAS Band at the weekend – There’s also the Birmingham Walk of Stars event, which is sure to have a festive feel, being so close to Christmas.
• A Dreamscape Crimbo: Drop by next week for some more Toyah festiveness at Dreamscape. Yes, December Will Be Magic… Again!
Most Shocking Christmas TV Moments: Ch5/My5
Mon 12th Dec: 10pm/Thu 15th Dec: 10pm
A merry romp through the most inappropriate, outrageous and appallingly atrocious Christmas television turkeys of all time. These are the kind of disastrous, ill-conceived and downright cringe-inducing moments that it’s a wonder ever made it to air. Among contributors ready to dissect the disasters – many of which they were involved in themselves – are Eamon Holmes, Toyah Willcox, Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen, Anne Diamond, Steve Punt and Mike Read.
Dreamscape’s Toyah news for September to November 2016 has now been archived – Browse almost 17 years of updates and info, all still available to read, by clicking below…
Over 30 years later it’s back, with the original presenter Mike Read hosting two special celebration editions where the biggest pop stars from the 1980s will go head-to-head in a test of their Eighties music knowledge – this is Pop Quiz The Comeback!
Tickets will be allocated by random draw. You can register at any time until 10pm on Wednesday 7 December. You can apply for a maximum of two tickets per recording and should you be successful in the random draw you will only receive tickets for one recording. Good luck!
Thursday 15 December, 3.30pm: Guests include Nick Heyward (Haircut 100), Carol Decker (T’Pau), David Grant (Linx), Cheryl Baker and Jay Aston (Bucks Fizz) and Ranking Roger (The Beat).
Thursday 15 December, 6.00pm: Guests include Toyah Willcox, Tom Bailey (Thompson Twins), Andy McCluskey (OMD), Steve Norman (Spandau Ballet), Mari Wilson and Leee John (Imagination).
• Continue reading/Apply for tickets at BBC Shows and Tours.
Another of Toyah’s festive Vintage TV specials, Toyah’s Christmas At The Zoo which originally aired in 2012, is being repeated this month.
Toyah’s Christmas At The Zoo: Vintage TV
Thursday 15th December: 11.30pm
Cosy up with family and friends as Toyah Willcox brings you 30 of the finest Christmas songs and a sprinkling of festive stories, surrounded by an extraordinary variety of creatures great and small.
Toyah Willcox is to appear in a new film about an aspiring comedian, written by playwright John Godber.
Filming has wrapped on dark comedy The Last Laugh, in which Nick Figgis portrays Martin, a theatre lecturer and would-be screenwriter who finds catharsis in performing stand-up when his wife discovers his affair and takes his family away.
Willcox (pictured above with Godber) is Pam, Martin’s ‘Judi Dench-like’ mother-in-law, a hugely successful actor of stage and screen – including sitcom – whom he yearns to impress.
Bouncers writer Godber makes his acting debut as Martin’s father, with his real-life wife Jane playing his onscreen spouse. Based on the writer’s 1997 play Weekend Breaks, the film cuts between Martin struggling to reconnect with his working-class parents in an isolated farmhouse in Whitby and him recounting the experience on stage.
Keith at Smile – A Look at the Iconic Fashion & Hairstyles of the 70s & 80s
Keith Wainwright is a celebrity hairdresser known for creating era-defining hairstyles for musicians, artists, fashion designers, actors and other celebrities throughout the 60s, 70s, 80s and onwards. These include David Bowie, Elton John, Toyah Willcox, Blondie, Paul McCartney, Roxy Music, Madness, Vivienne Westwood and more. In 2011 he was awarded an MBE for his irrefutable ‘distinctive and significant contribution to the success of British music, fashion and design’.
In this video, presenter Jessye Bloomfield looks at his influential life and career with interviews from Toyah Willcox, Duggie Fields, Michael Costiff and Keith himself.
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas… With airings of of A Very Vintage Christmas, with Toyah and Roy Wood, scheduled for later this month on Vintage TV.
A Very Vintage Christmas: Vintage TV
Mon 12th Dec: 11pm/Sun 18th Dec: 8pm
Toyah Willcox and Wizzard’s Roy Wood are cosying up by the fireplace with two guest artists as they talk Christmas and sing favourite festive songs.
• BBC Media Centre: Pop Quiz returns packed full of 80s stars: It’s time to dig out your leg warmers, ra-ra skirts and grab your Walkmans as BBC Four revives the classic 80s programme, Pop Quiz: The Comeback, for two specials in celebration of 80s pop music – Continue reading…
• ATV Today: Pop Quiz returns to the BBC: 1980s music based game show Pop Quiz is being revived by the BBC once more. The series has previously seen short-lived revivals in the 1990s and 2000s – Continue reading…
Quadrophenia: Sky Cinema Greats: Tuesday 13th December: 11.50pm
The Who wrote and produced this energetic story of a young man disillusioned with his life in 1960s London. Phil Daniels excels as the alienated anti-hero Jimmy Cooper. Director: Franc Roddam. Starring: Phil Daniels, Leslie Ash, Toyah Willcox, Philip Davis, Mark Wingett, Sting, and Ray Winstone. (Sky Cinema Greats is on Sky Channel 304)
• Official Toyah: Toyah To be Honoured On The Birmingham Walk Of Stars: Toyah Willcox and Don Maclean are to be honoured with a star on Birmingham’s Walk of Stars in Broad Street. The pair will be awarded their stars during a special show hosted by Walk of Stars’ chairman Jasper Carrott at the Birmingham Rep from 2.30pm on Sunday 11 December (Photo © Official Toyah) – Continue reading…
• The Edinburgh Reporter: Paul Young chats to the Edinburgh Reporter about 80s Invasion Tour: Due to overwhelming public demand after this year’s hugely successful run, the ‘80’s Invasion’ tour is back in 2017 with four iconic artists from the decade performing on the same bill. The new line-up features Paul Young – one of the most popular solo artists from the era, legendary pop punk princess Toyah, Liverpool’s finest guitar duo China Crisis and for the first time performing in the UK in over 25 years, flying in especially from the USA the gorgeous Martika! – Continue reading…
• Live 2016: Toyah @ Twitter: “SpikesSASBand sounded awesome in rehearsals yesterday” – Continue reading…
• Star Magazine: Leslie Ash returning to Quadrophenia ‘follow-up’ – report: Quadrophenia star Leslie Ash is reportedly returning to star in a ‘follow-up’ to the mods and rockers movie classic – Earlier this year it was revealed that To Be Someone, a new film featuring Quadrophenia stars Phil Daniels and Toyah Willcox, would begin filming in 2016 – Continue reading…
Original presenter Mike Read is set to host alongside teams of competing ’80s pop stars.
Guests will include Toyah Willcox, Nick Heyward (Haircut 100), Carol Decker (T’Pau), Tom Bailey (Thompson Twins), Andy McCluskey (OMD), Steve Norman (Spandau Ballet), David Grant (Linx), Cheryl Baker and Jay Aston (Bucks Fizz), Ranking Roger (The Beat), Mari Wilson and Lee John (Imagination).
“I’m delighted to be working with a great BBC team to bring back the classic TV series Pop Quiz,” said Read. “Once again the brows of the famous will be furrowed, lips pursed and eyes narrowed as we test their music knowledge, watch some great classic footage and have some fun along the way.”
• Continue reading at Music Week.