The complete four-part radio version of J.M. Barrie’s Peter Pan, with Toyah in the title role, will re-air on ‘BBC Radio 4 Extra’ in June. This was originally broadcast on BBC Radio 4 in December 1995.
A BBC Radio 4 full-cast dramatisation of J. M. Barrie’s tale of childhood adventure starring Toyah Willcox as Peter Pan and Ron Moody as Captain Hook. These audio editions, especially dramatised for BBC Radio, are of timeless stories that have enchanted generations of readers both young and old.
Also starring Roy Hudd as Smee and June Whitfield as Mrs Darling, this sparkling production is directed by award-winning producer Dirk Maggs, with an original music score and stunning sound effects.
JM Barrie – Peter Pan: BBC Radio 4 Extra: Sunday 8th June: 9am/5pm
JM Barrie – Peter Pan: BBC Radio 4 Extra: Monday 9th June: 5am
Away to Neverland. A strange visitor transforms the Darling household one bedtime. Stars Toyah Willcox, Ron Moody and June Whitfield. Episode 1 of 4.
• SohoCreate: We have a pair of tickets to give away to Toyah’s fans to see her at @SohoCreate next Thursday, 5th June at 16.15 in London. To enter, send an email with “Toyah” as the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
• BBC News: Stephen Sutton: Funeral held after Twitter ‘thumbs up’: The private funeral has been held for teenage cancer fundraiser Stephen Sutton as thousands remembered him via social media… Musician Toyah Willcox tweeted: “God bless u Stephen….u inspired. Thank u.” – Continue reading…
• Toyah, Robert & Bill Pay Tribute To Stephen Sutton: Remember 11am today. #ThumbsUpForStephen from Toyah, Fripp n’ Rieflin. God bless u Stephen….u inspired. Thank u – View their photo at Instagram…
• The Wright Stuff: Thursday’s show, with Toyah guesting, is available to watch online for the next five days at Demand Five – View here…
• Daventry Express: Thousands at boat show despite rain: A mixed bag of bank holiday weather did not put off the crowds from heading along to the Crick Boat Show. The three-day event drew in thousands of people from the local area and across the country. On the Saturday and Sunday there was evening music going on until 11.30pm, including a set on Saturday night from Toyah Willcox – Continue reading…
• Katharine Hepburn’s ‘paradise’ in Fenwick, Connecticut: Not Toyah related but this recent Yahoo story on Katharine’s former home features a wonderful photo of it – View here…
Toyah on The Wright Stuff, on Channel 5, today. Discussing the topical issues of the day.
A new article at the Birmingham Mail, celebrating all that’s great about the city.
As our Pride of Birmingham awards are launched, we take a look at the city’s many achievements and claims to fame
11. MUSIC: Birmingham is the birthplace of heavy metal, with Black Sabbath and Judas Priest coming from the city. Black Sabbath’s Tony Iommi – born and raised in Handsworth – shaped the sound when he learned to play guitar in a different way following an industrial accident that removed the tips of two of his fingers. He tuned the guitar down and relied on power chords, something guitarist Terry Butler also did – and together they produced the classic sound of metal. The later metal bands Napalm Death and Godflesh are also from Birmingham.
Also from the city are Dave Pegg (Jethro Tull, Fairport Convention), Martin Barre (Jethro Tull), and Blaze Bayley (Wolfsbane). Other music acts from Birmingham include ELO, Duran Duran, UB40, The Moody Blues, Fuzzbox, Ocean Colour Scene, The Move, Toyah Willcox, Joan Armatrading, Dexys Midnight Runners, Ruby Turner, Fine Young Cannibals, The Streets, Musical Youth, Jamelia and Pato Banton.
• Continue reading at the Birmingham Mail.
Lechlade Music Festival 2014 draws in visitors from all across the UK despite wet weather
Eager festival-goers donned their wellies and coats last weekend for three days of music and dancing in Lechlade.
Not put off by the rain and the mud, people travelled from as far as Scotland to enjoy this year’s eighties-themed Lechlade Music Festival at Riverside Park.
Punk princess Toyah Willcox headlined on Friday night to a packed crowd and was presented with an impressive birthday cake from Cotswold’s Finest Cakes, which she said she would rather take home to put on display than cut.
She said she was determined to “wake up Lechlade” as she played well into the evening.
• Continue reading at Wilts & Gloucestershire Standard.
A great venue, one that Toyah played at during the Love Is The Law & More tour last year, The Fleece in Bristol is under threat of closure. Please click below to view further info, from Chris Sharp, owner of The Fleece, and consider signing their petition (at change.org).
Dazzling photos of Toyah from last year’s Love Is The Law & More UK Tour, taken on the first date, 18th October 2013, at Legends, Newcastle. View these, and more, at Dreamscape’s LITL & More Gallery. (Thanks to Jo | All photos © Jo Oliver)
• Browse Dreamscape’s full Love Is The Law & More news and tour coverage here. Listen to Jo Oliver’s interview with Toyah at Soundcloud.
This decade-spanning film series, presented in partnership with Ikon Gallery on their 50th anniversary, moves on to the 1970s and Derek Jarman’s punk poem. Preceded by a video interview with Toyah Willcox and a short talk by Chris Phipps.
• Visit the Live Brum website.
Flatpack Film Festival: Jubilee: The 1978 film is showing at the Library of Birmingham Studio Theatre, Saturday 14th June at 7.30pm – Further info here… (<< Dreamscape’s previous news post related to this)
In The Fairground, Andrew York’s Toyah Art website, has been updated with a few new additions. Not a huge update this time but the site now has hundreds of Andrew’s exceptional creations to browse. Visit the site by clicking below. (full details on the Updates page)
• Plymouth Volksfest 2014 #1: Toyah onstage yesterday evening at the festival: Toyah gets the evening off to a thunderous start – View here…
• Plymouth Volksfest 2014 #2: Toyah being interviewed, by Siobhan Elise Robbie, before her live set – View here…
• Plymouth Volksfest 2014 #3: Toyah tweeted from Volksfest, saying it was “Huge! Fab! Muddy! Hurray!” – View her muddy photo here…
• Western Morning News: Sir Bob Geldof gets affectionate reception at Plymouth’s Volksfest: Other artists appearing over the Bank Holiday weekend event included The Feeling, Razorlight, Heaven 17 and Toyah – Continue reading…
Three films in which Toyah has prominent roles/appearances are showing in Canada in June and July, as part of the Queer Pagan Punk: The Films of Derek Jarman Season (June 12-July 5) at The Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF). Glitterbug is screened on Friday 13th June, Jubilee on Saturday 14th June and The Tempest on Saturday 5th July. Further info by clicking below.
The thoughtful organisers of the Lechlade Music Festival presented Toyah with a fantastic birthday cake on Friday night, as her live set closed the first day of concerts and events. View larger versions of both photos below at Lechlade Festival Facebook and Cotswolds Finest Cakes Facebook. (Photos © Lechlade Festival/Cotswolds Finest Cakes)
Indie Film Focus: Director Simon Cox Shoots “Kaleidoscope Man” Star Lucy Drive’s First Scene
Kaleidoscope Man is an indie science fiction thriller — which involves an alien invasion of Earth — currently in production by its writer-director-producer, Simon Cox, via his UK-based Alphastar Productions company. This is a film that Simon has been working on for quite some time. He is currently in Phase 4 of shooting, having gotten about 35% in the can so far. The production is practically 100% crowdfunded — the current Indiegogo campaign aims to fund the remainder of production, including (if possible) scenes on an alien planet (to be shot on location in the Canary Islands).
• Continue reading at Frisco Kid At The Movies.
• OsFest 2014: Toyah has just been confirmed as playing another festival, OsFest, which takes place in Shropshire between 9th – 11th August. Toyah plays the first day, Saturday 9th – Visit the OsFest website…
• OsFest 2014: The official festival website say: Our last addition is the amazing Toyah Willcox who’s career has now spanned 3 decades and she’ll be playing some of her major hits including the anthemic “It’s a Mystery” - View a larger version of the promotional flyer/poster here…
• Shropshire Live: Paloma Faith to perform unique DJ Set at Osfest: Paloma Faith, The Hoosiers, From the Jam, Bay City Rollers and Toyah have been added to the Osfest lineup which recently swapped dates from May to 9-11 August 2014 – Continue reading…
• Daventry Express: Thousands expected for boat show: Thousands of visitors are expected to arrive in Crick over the bank holiday weekend for the annual boat show. The popular event, held at Crick Marina off the A428 south of the village, is expected to draw in 25,000. Toyah Willcox will be performing her ‘Acoustic, Up Close & Personal’ set at Crick as part of the show’s Saturday evening entertainment programme – Continue reading…
• Western Morning News: Bumper bank holiday weekend on the way as summer season gets under way: TOP TEN THINGS TO DO THIS WEEKEND: 3. Volksfest at Plymouth, the weekend long festival which this year will be headlined by Razorlight, The Feeling, Toyah and Heaven 17 – Continue reading…
The Wright Stuff: Channel 5: Thu 29th May: 9.15am
Lively magazine show in which Matthew Wright and guests discuss the topical issues of the day. Singer, actress and I’m a Celebrity contestant Toyah Willcox, one of the speakers at SohoCreate next week, is in the studio with the lowdown on this new three-day festival. (Also airing on Channel 5 +1 and will be available on Demand 5 after airing)