‘Let’s make it like an 80s school disco’, said the performers – and the Theatre Severn certainly had a party atmosphere when it came to the 80s Invasion.
Pop stars China Crisis, Toyah, Paul Young and Martika took to the stage in Shrewsbury on Tuesday, performing their nostalgic hits. Most of the shows I go to are chosen by my mum, and this was no exception. The show was opened by China Crisis, who did a great job of getting the mid-week crowd up and dancing.
We both found Toyah a real revelation, she looked absolutely stunning and had energy by the barrel on stage. She also interspersed her hits, including It’s A Mystery, Thunder In The Mountains and I Wanna Be Free, with tales of her time during the 80s. But it was her cover of Echo Beach, originally by Martha and the Muffins, that really got the crowd going.
Toyah, Paul Young, Martika and China Crisis are currently travelling the UK with the 80′s Invasion 2017 UK Tour.
The foursome have already played dates at Rhyl Pavilion, De Monfort Hall in Leicester, Stoke’s Victoria Hall, Edinburgh Playhouse and Shrewsbury’s Theatre Severn. Tonight the tour reaches the Central Theatre, Chatham.
Stay updated on the tour via Twitter. Follow Toyah at Twitter for tour tweets. Browse all of Dreamscape’s 80′s Invasion news, and click below for all of the remaining dates and links to buy tickets, at toyahwillcox.com.
The 1980s, is synonymous with big hair and big aspirations.
It was also undoubtedly one of the best decades for music. Not only did it give birth to the music video but also left us with an eclectic mix of styles and genre’s many of which can still be heard in today’s charts.
Such is the fondness for this power dressing period and its place in our relatively recent memories, 37 years on artists from the day are still singing to scores of fans up and down the country at festivals or gigs. An example of this nostalgia package – The 80′s Invasion Tour – was at Rhyl’s Pavilion Theatre on Thursday.
… A quick turn around enabled the next act Toyah to capatalise on the feel good mood. The diminutive diva, who looked remarkable for someone set to celebrate her 59th birthday, launched into her set of defiant early 80s anthems including ‘ It’s a Mystery’ and ‘I want to be free’ – enjoyed by scores of fist pumping audience members. A strong contender surely for national treasure Ms Willcox was followed by international recording artist Martika…
Checklist: 10 things not to miss in Scotland this week
7. 80s Invasion Tour The Edinburgh Playhouse, March 5 – Music fans will be able to take a nostalgia trip in the capital on Sunday. Eighties favourites, including Paul Young, Martika and Liverpool duo China Crisis, will perform during the show. Punk pop star Toyah Willcox completes this year’s line-up.
Punk Princess Toyah Willcox is all set to roll back the years at the Playhouse on Sunday when she leads the 80’s Invasion Tour to the Capital, in the company of Paul Young, Martika and China Crisis.
The four iconic artists from the decade that fashion forgot will be performing on the same bill together for the first time, so expect a raft of familiar hits.
Toyah has had a incredibly diverse career over the years with major hit records and many stage and screen roles to her credit, but it was in the 80s that she became one of Britain’s biggest household names.
Toyah, Paul Young and Martika are guesting on Steve Wright in the Afternoon on BBC Radio 2 today. The show begins at 2pm and airs for three hours.
Sharon Horgan & Rob Delaney, Toyah, Paul Young & Martika, Morven Christie: It’s a Big Show with Morven Christie discussing The Replacement, Sharon Horgan and Rob Delaney talking about series 3 of Catastrophe, plus Toyah, Paul Young and Martika are in ahead of their ’80s Invasion Tour. And there’s a load of Factoids, the Non-Stop Oldies and the latest entertainment and lifestyle news.
• BeniConnect: Toyah Willcox, one of the UK’s most iconic names will perform June 2nd in Calpe: Toyah Willcox, award winning rock legend will perform in concert with support from Chill Factor and Leah Kankowski and her dancers at the AR Diamante Beach Spa Hotel, Calpe – Continue reading…
• Native Monster: Dr Who and Secret Diary of a Call Girl star Billie Piper to meet fans at Birmingham Comic Con: Other stars set to appear include Toyah Willcox, John Coppinger, Hugh Fraser and Pauline Moran – Continue reading…
• Staffordshire Newsletter: Musicians go back to the 80s with tour at The Victoria Hall: Lovers of 1980s music will be in for a treat when musicians from the era perform at The Victoria Hall in Stoke as part of the 80s Invasion Tour. The tour features solo artist Paul Young, pop punk princess Toyah, Liverpool guitar duo China Crisis, and – flying in especially from the USA – Martika – Continue reading…
• Belper News: Duffield music festival lines up star names for 2017: The organiser of an Amber Valley music festival is hoping big name acts will bring in even bigger crowds this summer, as he looks to build on the event’s early success. Simon said: “I’m really thrilled to say that we’ve got The Blockheads and Toyah headlining the first two nights – Continue reading…
• Petersfield Messenger: 80s Icons at The Anvil: Due to overwhelming public demand, the 80s Invasion tour is back at The Anvil, Basingstoke – Continue reading…
Four iconic artists from the 1980s will spin back the clock bringing the era of big hair, big shoulder pads and big noise back to life.
The new 80s Invasion line-up features Paul Young – one of the most popular solo artists from the era, legendary pop punk princess Toyah, Liverpool’s finest guitar duo China Crisis and for the first time performing in the UK in over 25 years, flying in especially from the USA, the gorgeously talented Martika!
The tour takes in 15 dates starting at Leicester’s De Montfort Hall and culminating on March 19 at Liverpool’s Philharmonic. Two days before that (March 17) it arrives at Huddersfield Town Hall.
This month our Content Editor, Charlie O’Neill had the chance to catch up with Toyah Willcox ahead of the ‘80’s Invasion Tour’.
Firstly, Happy New Year. Did you have a nice Christmas? What did you get up to over the festive period?
TOYAH: Thank you and the same to you! I had the best Christmas ever, it was absolutely lovely. We were both home from a year of touring. And, we just had family time and for me that’s what Christmas always will be. It was very gentle and perfect. It’s the only time of year, where no matter what happens, whatever distractions, and you always make room for family. Its catch up time.
Do you have any New Years resolutions set or any goals you are aiming to achieve this year?
TOYAH: My New Years resolutions usually go into about 3 pages of dialogue with myself! Basically, I just want to keep developing and moving forward. I don’t want to just rest on my laurels. So, my new years resolutions are always linked to creative writing, painting, developing ideas and examining ideas, brining them into fruition. My New Years resolutions are always boringly predictable, but they are for me, nagging myself to hit my goals.
• Absolute Radio: Win 80s Invasion Tour tickets: The 80s Invasion Tour is back in Spring 2017 with a brilliant line-up of 80s artists, and we’ve got tickets to be won. 80s stars on this year’s line-up include Paul Young, Martika, Toyah and China Crisis – Continue reading/Comp details here…
• This is Our Town Guildford: Interview: Martika Bringing the Party to 80’s Invasion Tour in Guildford: We caught up with 80’s pop star Martika, known for hits such as Toy Soldiers and the Prince-penned track Love…Thy Will Be Done, ahead of her appearance on the “80’s Invasion Tour”. The tour lands at G Live in Guildford on 13 March – Continue reading…
• Mirror: Paul Young reveals he loves touring and still gets knickers thrown at him onstage – The eighties singer, 60, on fighting the middle-age spread, not being ready for grandkids, and money worries – Continue reading…
• Cornfield Publishing: An Interview with Martika: Take a look at our latest interview where we had the chance to catch up with Martika, ahead of the ‘80’s Invasion’ tour, which kicks off in March – Continue reading…
• More 80s Invasion 2017: See all the dates and ticket booking links at toyahwillcox.com… Browse all of Dreamscape’s 80s Invasion tour news here…
There are just six weeks to go until the start of the 80s Invasion Tour 2017, with the first date taking place at Rhyl Pavilion on Thursday 2nd March.
The tour, with Paul Young, Martika, Toyah and China Crisis plays 15 dates all over the UK: Rhyl, Leicester, Stoke, Edinburgh, Shrewsbury, Chatham, Malvern, Basingstoke, Birmingham, Guildford, Aylesbury, London, Huddersfield, Newcastle and Liverpool.
• Click below for all of the venues, further info and ticket booking links at toyahwillcox.com. Browse Dreamscape’s 80s Invasion Tour news here.
Getting into the festive spirit – The 80s Invasion Tour 2017 – with a Christmas stocking promo sent out by email to subscribers.
Perfect last minute gift… 2017′s 80s Invasion show with Paul Young, Martika, Toyah and China Crisis.
80s Invasion Tour 2017: Paul Young + Martika + Toyah Willcox + China Crisis
Due to overwhelming public demand after this year’s hugely successful run, the ‘80’s Invasion’ tour is back in 2017 with four iconic artists from the decade performing on the same bill.
The new line-up features Paul Young – one of the most popular solo artists from the era, legendary pop punk princess Toyah, Liverpool’s finest guitar duo China Crisis and for the first time performing in the UK in over 25 years, flying in especially from the USA the gorgeous Martika!
The tour will take in 15 dates and starts on 2nd March at Rhyl’s Pavillion, culminating on 19th March at Liverpool’s Philharmonic, with London’s Indigo2 on 16th March.
• See www.tdpromo.com for more details. View a larger version of the 80′s Invasion Tour 2017 Christmas stocking here. Browse all of Dreamscape’s news on the forthcoming tour here.