Toyah guested on The Wright Stuff this morning, on Channel 5. Here’s a short clip from the appearance, uploaded to the programme’s You Tube channel earlier today.
• Bring it Back!: Reaction to the first of two new episodes has been overwhelmingly positive, with some already calling for a full series. There’s also been a a number of press reports on the revival.
• ITV/Good Morning Britain: Mike Read and the pop quiz comeback: Mike Read was live in the studio this morning talking about bringing back his iconic Pop Quiz with a host of 80s pop stars. Mike looked back on his 40-year career as a DJ on Radio 1, host of the 1980s Saturday morning children’s show Saturday Superstore and the original 1980s music panel game Pop Quiz which he’s bringing back – Continue reading…
• Classic Pop Magazine: Toyah thought last night’s Pop Quiz was a whole heap of fun. Hopefully BBC Four will commission a full series - Continue reading…
• Scottish Daily Mail: Music Show Revived: Pop Quiz – The Comeback, 9.30pm, BBC4: The delight of Mike Read’s Eighties series was that it brought together so many famous musicians who loved talking about music. The delight is intact for this revival, for which Read returns as host along with former conteestants Toyah Willcox, Nick Heyward and Cheryl Baker.
• BBC Four: Episode One is repeated tomorrow night, late – at 1.05am on BBC Four…
• Pop Quizzing at Dreamscape: Browse all of our news on PQ here…
BBC Four were tweeting a-plenty last night about Pop Quiz – The Comeback airing, including a couple of retro images of Toyah from previous Pop Quiz guest appearances (in 1981 and 1984).
Who got a lifetime ban from a Manchester hotel for swinging from a chandelier and stealing a zebra? Ginger diva Toyah Willcox. Who bought an Austin A40 convertible so she could poke her beehive hair out of the roof? Jazz chanteuse Mari Wilson. What did this pair have in common? They were both on Pop Quiz: The Comeback (BBC Four), a revival of the retro gameshow which pitted two teams of Eighties pop stars against each other for no apparent reason other than festive fun.
• Continue reading at The Telegraph.
Episode 1 of 2: It was the Saturday night smash hit music quiz show that ran for four years between 1981 and 1984. Over 30 years later it’s back, with the original presenter Mike Read hosting the first of two special celebration shows where the biggest pop stars from the 1980s go head to head in a test of their 80s music knowledge. Guests include Toyah Willcox, Tom Bailey (Thompson Twins), Andy McCluskey (OMD), Steve Norman (Spandau Ballet), Mari Wilson and Leee John (Imagination).
Some years there’s so much good festive telly on offer, it makes your head spin like a Christmas tree bauble crashing to the floor. In 2016, not so much – Still, there are a few gems across the schedules. Here are a few…
Pop Quiz: The Comeback (28 December, BBC4, 9:30pm)
DJ Mike Read (‘Mike Read, 275 and 285, Mike Read, Mike Read, National Radio 1’) revives the Eighties teen show in which pop stars answered questions on pop. How will the likes of Toyah, a Thompson Twin and one of ‘the Spands’ fare in this two-part treat?
• Continue reading at The Scotsman.
We all love lounging on the sofa with eggnog in one hand and a Chocolate Orange in the other, glued to some of the year’s best TV. But what to choose when you win the battle for the remote and the channel-flicking power is all yours?
If you’re done with present opening, turkey stuffing and The Great Christmas Bake Off (we’ll miss you Mel, Sue and Mary!) – we round up the very best music telly on offer this Christmas.
Wednesday 28 December
Pop Quiz: The Comeback – 9:30pm, BBC4
Mike Read hosts the revival of the 80s music quiz with guests including Toyah Willcox, who is best known for fronting 80s band Toyah. And narrating The Teletubbies, of course.
• Continue reading at Official Charts.
Exciting! Mari Wilson, Leee John, Tom Bailey, Steve Norman, Andy McCluskey and Toyah from yesterday’s recording of Pop Quiz, with original BBC host Mike Read. See Toyah’s tweet/photo. The programme airs on December 28th. (Photo © Mari Wilson)
Broadcast details for Pop Quiz: The Comeback have now been confirmed, with the first show airing on BBC4 on Wednesday 28th December, and the second on Wednesday 4th January.
Both editions of the revived classic pop programme are being recorded tomorrow at Media City, Salford, with tickets to attend being allocated earlier this month.
Pop Quiz: The Comeback: BBC4: Wednesday 28th December: 9.30pm
Pop Quiz: The Comeback: BBC4: New Year’s Eve/Hogmanay: 1.05am
1/2. The music quiz that proved to be a Saturday night hit in the early 1980s is back, hosted by the original presenter Mike Read. He’s joined by a host of pop stars from the era, including Toyah Willcox, OMD’s Andy McCluskey, Tom Bailey of the Thompson Twins and Spandau Ballet’s Steve Norman, who’ll be going head to head as they put their musical knowledge to the test.
Pop Quiz: The Comeback: BBC4: Wednesday 4th January: 9.30pm
Pop Quiz: The Comeback: BBC4: Saturday 7th January: 1.05am
2/2. Guests include Nick Heyward (Haircut 100), Carol Decker (T’Pau), David Grant (Linx), Cheryl Baker and Jay Aston (Bucks Fizz) and Ranking Roger (The Beat).
Watch Toyah perform Be Proud Be Loud ( Be Heard) of Top Of The Pops at BBC iPlayer now!
BBC Four at Twitter marked Toyah’s iconic, classic and utterly unforgettable Be Proud Be Loud (Be Heard) repeated Top Of The Pops studio appearance tonight with some tweets, including this… In 1982, Toyah was so famous, she even had a lion-tailed macaque named after her on Animal Magic, and appeared on the show to meet it, and this… Toyah’s friend and erstwhile #TOTP presenter Kenny Everett was also on TV this week (his show was repeated on @BBCTwo on 20 October 1982). Click below to watch the show at BBC iPlayer. It’s also repeated.
The bumper double Christmas issue of Radio Times has just been published, the BBC Christmas idents are here, I’ve just finished writing my Christmas cards, and you can’t move for crazy people in the supermarket – this can all only mean one thing – Christmas is officially… here!!!
Here’s a round up of all things festive related to Toyah:
• Toyah on Christmas TV: Vintage TV are repeating festive Toyah specials from previous Christmas times, including A Very Vintage Christmas and Toyah’s Christmas At The Zoo. There’s also a repeat of Most Shocking Christmas TV Moments on Channel 5.
• Toyah Willcox & The Great British Panto: A festive special at the V&A, London: Toyah will be in conversation with Senior Curator and Pantomime Editor of the British Theatre Guide, Simon Sladen on Tuesday 13th December.
• Home For Christmas:“Robert is home any min after 4 months touring and being teetotal….his request… giant margarita“.
• Pop Quizzing at Christmas: The original BBC Pop Quiz returns for two Christmas specials to air on BBC4. Toyah is guesting in one of these, both of which are being recorded at Media City, Salford on Thursday 15th December.
• Christmas at Fripp/Cox: Yuletide 2016 arrived at Robert and Toyah’s place mid November. See the lights.
• Christmas Live 2016: Toyah played a festive gig with The SAS Band at the weekend – There’s also the Birmingham Walk of Stars event, which is sure to have a festive feel, being so close to Christmas.
• A Dreamscape Crimbo: Drop by next week for some more Toyah festiveness at Dreamscape. Yes, December Will Be Magic… Again!
Over 30 years later it’s back, with the original presenter Mike Read hosting two special celebration editions where the biggest pop stars from the 1980s will go head-to-head in a test of their Eighties music knowledge – this is Pop Quiz The Comeback!
Tickets will be allocated by random draw. You can register at any time until 10pm on Wednesday 7 December. You can apply for a maximum of two tickets per recording and should you be successful in the random draw you will only receive tickets for one recording. Good luck!
Thursday 15 December, 3.30pm: Guests include Nick Heyward (Haircut 100), Carol Decker (T’Pau), David Grant (Linx), Cheryl Baker and Jay Aston (Bucks Fizz) and Ranking Roger (The Beat).
Thursday 15 December, 6.00pm: Guests include Toyah Willcox, Tom Bailey (Thompson Twins), Andy McCluskey (OMD), Steve Norman (Spandau Ballet), Mari Wilson and Leee John (Imagination).
• Continue reading/Apply for tickets at BBC Shows and Tours.