Eeeek!! This is amazing – ZACHT VOOR HAAR >> An astonishing #flashbackfriday to 1977. A rarely seen and seldom spotted shampoo advert modelling shot by a young Toyah. This advert was printed in Dutch magazines and the tag line translates as Soft for you. (Thanks to The Official Toyah Instagram)
• There’s no gimmicks! The above has brought this to mind – From 20 years later…
Doctors: BBC1: Tuesday 10th November: 1.45pm
Afternoon of the Living Dead. By Paul Campbell. Featuring Toyah in a guest role. Full synopsis available soon… View a photo at Toyah’s Instagram. Keep your eyes on the BBC One/Doctors website for an interview with Toyah soon.
Desire, Toyah’s second solo album, originally released in 1987 was issued digitally at the beginning of October.
As well as a new digital booklet to accompany the release a plethora of Desire-related extras have been made available by toyahwillcox.com to complement the album.
TENTERHOOKS | AN AUDIO SLEEVENOTE To accompany the recent digital release of Toyah’s 1987 album Desire comes an exclusive audio sleevenote. (Concept: Craig Astley | Execution: Chris Limb | Based on an original Toyah interview conducted and recorded by Chris Limb in London, 1987).
ECHO BEACH [ACOUSTIC] A previously unreleased and unavailable acoustic take on Echo Beach. Recorded live in 2014.
DESIRABLE EP compiling Echo Beach & Moonlight Dancing B-Sides in new sonically refreshed transfers. Tracklist: 1. Echo Beach (Surf Mix); 2. Plenty; 3. Sun Up; 4. Re-Entry Into Dance.
• Click on each of the covers below to download/stream the Desire goodies. (Thanks to Breaking Through)
Aaaaaaaah! is available to download now, from all the usual online digital stores. Comedy set in a primate-like society, a roaming alpha male comes into a town, along with his beta friend, where he finds a feud happening in the local community. He decides to challenge the dominant male there in a bid to take over the tribe and restore order to the area. Click below to buy or rent, in SD or HD, from Amazon.
Another year almost over. 2013 has been a great one for Toyah and her fans. This site has also continued to be visited by many of you which I’m grateful for, especially in these days of social networks etc. It’s also been a more settled year for Dreamscape after the shenanigans of 2012 too. Hoping 2014 will be similar, and it’s set to be an incredibly busy one for Toyah. March will be our 14th anniversary and the beginning of our 15th year online so lots to look forward to.
Wishing everyone who takes the time to visit Dreamscape a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Sending extra special thoughts to anyone who is alone this year or missing a loved one, and Season’s Greetings too, of course, to Toyah, Robert and WillyFred.
Christmas Eve 2012, Toyah guested on Marlow FM’s ‘Musical Milestones’ on The Eclectic Light Show. She discussed her life and career and chose six songs along the way. As this aired on Christmas Eve and the station didn’t have a Listen Again function I recorded it and uploaded to Dreamscape last Christmas a low quality mp3 of the 30-minute special. Click below to listen/download.
This is our final Christmas Countdown post for 2013. View all of the countdown here.
The bonus Christmas Eve Digital Advent gift was unveiled at Toyah’s Official Website today and it was Live Is The Law, a seven-track mini-album of songs recorded on the 2013 Love Is The Law & More UK Tour. There’s also downloadable artwork. Click below for Toyah’s final 2013 Christmas goodie, as well as a full Digital Advent summary. Merry Christmas to toyahwillcox.com!
As mentioned in a previous Christmas Countdown post, Toyah via her Official Fanclub sent out cards to thousands of fans every year between 1981 and 1984. Here is the test shot by photographer Joe Bangay for the 1982 Christmas card (along with the actual card). Please click below to view a larger version of the test photo. (Thanks to Andy who originally sent me this for a Dreamscape Christmas update back in 2007)
Welcome to the final “Toyah Newsy Bits & Pieces!” of the year…
• Smash Hits Archive: Exactly 30 years to the day it was originally published, the December 22, 1983 – January 4, 1984 issue of Smash Hits. This includes various Toyah content: There’s a review of the Rebel Run Tour, Celebrity Squares article, and in the “Quotes Of The Year”. Toyah is also included in the 1983 Reader’s Poll, placing at number six in the Best Female Singer and Most Fanciable Female categories. View the full issue here…
• The Official Phil Spalding Website: Phil’s website, “Music + Mayhem”, is now live and has some great content to browse through, including “the inside stories” on recording ‘Anthem’ and ‘The Changeling’, with more Toyah memories to follow. Visit the website…
• Phil Spalding: Check out all of Dreamscape’s recent Phil related news here…
• Official Toyah Advent: The final door was opened earlier today BUT there will be a bonus gift for Christmas Eve tomorrow. Visit the advent here…
• Official Instagram: Toyah has been posting some festive photos over the last week. Take a look at her Instagram page…
For the third consecutive year Toyah has been omnipresent on Vintage TV throughout December. This year the 2011 special Toyah’s Vintage Christmas, last year’s Toyah’s Christmas At The Zoo and 2013′s two-parter, co-hosted by Toyah and Roy Wood, A Very Vintage Christmas have all been airing.
There are still chances to catch all three: A Very Vintage Christmas is showing until the end of December, with Part One on this evening and Part Two tomorrow. Toyah’s Vintage Christmas and Toyah’s Christmas At The Zoo are also both airing tomorrow… meaning Christmas Eve Eve (the best day of the year!) really does see Toyah taking over Vintage TV for Christmas.
Here are the times for the latest showings of all four programes, and view the full schedule for the rest of Toyah @ Vintage TV in December. Don’t forget that both parts of A Very Vintage Christmas are also currently available to watch online at Vintage TV’s website.
A Very Vintage Christmas: Vintage TV: Sunday 22nd December: 11.00pm (Pt 1)
Presenters Toyah Willcox and Wizzard’s Roy Wood are cosying up by the fireplace with two guest artists on our new show as they talk Christmas and sing favourite festive songs.
Toyah’s Christmas At The Zoo: Vintage TV: Monday 23rd December: 9.00am
Cosy up with family and friends as Toyah Willcox brings you 30 of the finest Christmas songs and a sprinkling of festive stories, surrounded by an extraordinary variety of creatures great and small.
A Very Vintage Christmas: Vintage TV: Monday 23rd December: 4.00pm (Pt 2)
Snuggling up by the fireside with Toyah Willcox and Roy Wood for some Christmas chat and festive songs are pop rock act The Feeling and Imagination’s Leee John.
Toyah’s Vintage Christmas: Vintage TV: Monday 23rd December: 9.00pm
Snuggle down by the fire with the family as punk princess, Toyah Willcox, introduces some of the finest Christmas videos of the 20th Century, sprinkled with a generous handful of fun festive facts.
Toyah’s Digital Advent for Christmas 2013 is almost complete, with the final door coming tomorrow. Yesterday’s gift was a selection of previously unseen outtakes from legendary Toyah photo sessions. Click below to view.
Various articles have started to appear online on the forthcoming Derek Jarman season at the BFI in 2014. Jubilee and The Tempest play a number of times during the season, and Toyah will participate in Introducing The Tempest.
• The Quietus: BFI Announce Derek Jarman Season: The Quietus are excited to be media partners with the BFI’s major film retrospective of the groundbreaking filmmaker’s work, taking place in February and March 2014: The BFI have announced that they are hosting a major film retrospective of the work of filmmaker Derek Jarman. Titled Queer Pagan Punk, it will take place across February and March 2014, marking the 20th anniversary of his death. The season will draw together key films from his career alongside rarer work, as well as talks and discussions with special guests – Continue reading…
• After Nyne: BFI Announces Two-Month Derek Jarman Retrospective: The BFI is pleased to announce Queer Pagan Punk: Derek Jarman a major two month film retrospective at BFI Southbank (February/March 2014). This will be the largest retrospective of Jarman’s films ever mounted in the UK, celebrating the prolific, iconoclastic and hugely influential film-maker and marking the 20th anniversary of his death… Toyah Willcox, John Maybury, Jenny Runacre, Dexter Fletcher, Isaac Julien, Tariq Ali, James McKay, Keith Collins and Don Boyd and are among the invited guest speakers – Continue reading…
• BFI: A full list of related events, including the showings of Jubilee and The Tempest, can be viewed by clicking here and searching for “Jarman”.
Christmas 1996, Toyah contributed a thoughtful recollection of childhood Christmasses to the charity publication ‘Once Upon A Christmas’. This book is now out of print.
In this delightful Christmas book, a host of our most popular and well-known celebrities from all walks of life have contributed stories, memories, recipes and thoughts about Christmas to make this the most irresistible festive anthology there is… Once Upon A Christmas will help to put – and keep – you in the Christmas spirit.
Toyah Willcox: Broadcaster and Singer
Childhood Christmasses were the most magical.
It was the appearance of the Christmas tree that cued two weeks of sheer all-encompassing joy. I’m talking about being four years old. Just able to talk but unable to comprehend the hidden meanings of the words of wisdom from the giants, the adults…
• Continue reading at Dreamscape’s Press Archive.
• Toyah’s Digital Advent: The Official countdown to Christmas Eve reaches day eight today, and a very special gift – The Humans Live At Scala London 2010. A full digital live album for Christmas – Listen here… View the full Advent here…
• Rare Photos: Additional photos from the late 1970′s were also added to the Calendar yesterday – View these amazing shots here…
• A Very Vintage Christmas: Toyah is mentioned in Vintage TV’s December Podcast. She is also still pictured on the Home Page of their website. There are still numerous chances to catch both editions of A Very Vintage Christmas – View the full schedule here…
• Vintage TV: Both editions of A Very Vintage Christmas are also now available to watch online at Vintage TV’s website. Watch Part One here, and Part Two here.
• Dark Night Of The Soul With Julie: Toyah’s ‘I Believe In Father Christmas’ was included in Julie’s Christmas Special playlist last night on WFMU – View the full list here…
In the early 80s, every member of Toyah’s Fanclub – The Intergalactic Ranchouse – received a personally signed Christmas card from Toyah. She even mentioned in an interview at the time that she signed thousands of cards. Do you still have yours? Here are all four cards, send from 1981 to 1984. The card from 1983 was a postcard and the 1984 card came from the Toyah Fanclub, the IRH had closed earlier in the year.
Click here to read the messages, for 1981 and ’82. And click here for the cards, and messages, from 1983 and ’84.