Toyah Willcox transports Warrington music fans back to the 80s
Warrington was transported back in time to the age of the 80’s with fans and aficionados of the era descending on the Parr Hall for a fantastic night of music and dance at a Loving the 80s gig.
Headlined by the iconic Toyah Willcox there was something for most tastes as the acts rolled on through the night.
…Ending the show with a fabulous finale was Toyah Willcox, the actress, presenter and singing star. Wowing the crowd and turning back the clock with her new look, energy and superb show she went through a frenzied set of classic eighties numbers including all of her own hits like Thunder in the Mountains, I want to be free, Brave new world and of course the unforgettable It’s a mystery.
As a grand finale to the night Toyah invited onstage the whole cast from the evenings entertainment and in a touching tribute to George Michael they danced and sang along to Wham’s hit Club Tropicana.
• Continue reading at Warrington Worldwide. (Photo © Warrington Worldwide)
Toyah featured in another slightly odd article by the Daily Mail yesterday. A great selection of photos, though, from Saturday’s Loving The 80s gig in Warrington.
Toyah Willcox, 58, puts on an eye-popping display as she slips into figure-flaunting one-piece for performance
Her punk sartorial displays became iconic throughout the eighties.
Although working a more demure style three decades on, singer Toyah Willcox still managed to pay tribute to her racy ensembles of yesteryear as she stepped out in a very revealing blue body on Saturday. The 58-year-old songstress was sure to flaunt her ample assets in the figure-flaunting number as she performed her classic Loving The 80′s at Parr Hall in Warrington.
The jersey cobalt blue one-piece hinted at her undergarments as she wowed the crowds with her vocal talents while showcasing her petite frame in a waist cinching navy midi skirt. Not aware of her ample display, she continued her quirky style as she accessorised her stage attire with head-turning gold cuffs that worked their way up her forearms, while wrapping a matching futuristic collar that rested above her bust. Adding height to her diminutive frame, she slipped on a pair of black heeled boots alongside her black denier tights.
Despite being known for her ever changing ‘do in the eighties, Toyah left her glossy locks blonde for the evening’s proceedings as her trademark fringe accentuated her youthful complexion. Toyah completed her beauty look with a dusting of bronzer across her cheeks while she worked a dramatic smokey eye for the electrifying performance. The Anthem hitmaker’s appearance comes after she revealed the unorthdox secret to keeping her 30 year marriage alive, admitting that she and her husband have separate houses.
• Continue reading at the Daily Mail. (Photos © Jules Annan/Barcroft Media)
Four iconic artists from the 1980s will spin back the clock bringing the era of big hair, big shoulder pads and big noise back to life.
The new 80s Invasion line-up features Paul Young – one of the most popular solo artists from the era, legendary pop punk princess Toyah, Liverpool’s finest guitar duo China Crisis and for the first time performing in the UK in over 25 years, flying in especially from the USA, the gorgeously talented Martika!
The tour takes in 15 dates starting at Leicester’s De Montfort Hall and culminating on March 19 at Liverpool’s Philharmonic. Two days before that (March 17) it arrives at Huddersfield Town Hall.
• Continue reading at the Halifax Courier. Catch up on all our 80s Invasion Tour 2017 news.
THREE DAY IRLAM LIVE FESTIVAL WITH LEGEND, SOUL AND RETRO SOUNDS
The line-up for this year’s Irlam Live has been announced with three themed days of top sounds starring huge names, headlined by Junior Marvin’s Wailers, Alexander O’Neal and Jason Donovan, plus Toyah, Owen Paul, K-Klass, Dodgy, Odyssey and more.
Over 8,000 people attended the event at Prince’s Park, Irlam, last year and organisers are expecting an even bigger turnout for this year’s festival which runs on June 2nd, 3rd and 4th.
• Continue reading at Salford Star.
An internationally renowned singer will perform in her home county of Worcestershire as part of a special ‘up close and personal’ gig.
Pershore’s very own Toyah Willcox will perform an unplugged set of all her favourite hits at Evesham Arts Centre on Saturday, February 11.
The show, ‘Toyah: Up Close And Personal’, will see the acclaimed guitarist recall stories from her colourful 35-year career, from filming pop videos on horseback at 5am to acting alongside Katharine Hepburn and Laurence Olivier. She promises to take the audience on a journey, through her meticulous and melodic acoustic versions of ‘It’s A Mystery’, ‘Thunder In The Mountains’, ‘I Want To Be Free’ and ‘Good Morning Universe’.
• Continue reading at the Evesham Observer. Stay updated on all of Toyah’s upcoming confirmed live dates at toyahwillcox.com.
Rewind have announced details on their festivals for 2017. Toyah will play at Rewind North on Saturday 5th August.
• Broadway World: Rewind 2017 The World’s Biggest 80s Festival Announces 3 UK Festival Line-Ups: Tickets for all three festivals will go on sale at 9am on Friday January 27th from the official website rewindfestival.com – Continue reading…
• Stereoboard: Rewind The ’80s Music Festival Returns In 2017: Rewind revisits Scone Palace, Perth in Scotland between July 21 and 23, Capesthorne Hall, Cheshire for the fourth year between August 4 and 6, and Temple Island Meadows in Henley-on-Thames for its ninth year between August 18 and 20 – Continue reading…
• Rewind North 2017: Visit the official festival website for full line-up, more info and ticket booking links (from Friday), here…
• Noble PR: Rewind The 80s Music Festival, the world’s first and biggest 80s music festival, is back for 2017 at Capesthorne Hall, Macclesfield for the fourth year with a fantastic line up featuring the biggest acts of the 1980’s – Continue reading…
• Heart: Win Tickets To Rewind Festival: We have one pair of weekend tickets up for grabs to the world’s biggest 80s music festival at Capesthorne Hall, Cheshire in August – More details…
• Toyah @ Twitter: “I’ll be performing live at @rewindfestival North on Sat 5 Aug! Line-up announced for the festival at http://www.rewindfestival.com” – Continue reading…
From Toyah to Duzza – the stars heading to the Longlands in 2017
She went down a storm and ate pie and peas at a Guisborough cafe last time she was here. Now 1980s pop icon Toyah is heading our way again – one of a raft of music and football stars scheduled to play Middlesbrough’s Longlands Club.
The “It’s A Mystery” star turned heads last July when she popped in for lunch at Guisborough’s Pie in the Sky, ahead of a gig at the Marton Road venue. And after a massive night last year, the punk princess has confirmed a return visit to The Longlands on June 10.
• Continue reading at Gazette Live.
This month our Content Editor, Charlie O’Neill had the chance to catch up with Toyah Willcox ahead of the ‘80’s Invasion Tour’.
Firstly, Happy New Year. Did you have a nice Christmas? What did you get up to over the festive period?
TOYAH: Thank you and the same to you! I had the best Christmas ever, it was absolutely lovely. We were both home from a year of touring. And, we just had family time and for me that’s what Christmas always will be. It was very gentle and perfect. It’s the only time of year, where no matter what happens, whatever distractions, and you always make room for family. Its catch up time.
Do you have any New Years resolutions set or any goals you are aiming to achieve this year?
TOYAH: My New Years resolutions usually go into about 3 pages of dialogue with myself! Basically, I just want to keep developing and moving forward. I don’t want to just rest on my laurels. So, my new years resolutions are always linked to creative writing, painting, developing ideas and examining ideas, brining them into fruition. My New Years resolutions are always boringly predictable, but they are for me, nagging myself to hit my goals.
• Continue reading the interview at Cornfield Publishing.
• Absolute Radio: Win 80s Invasion Tour tickets: The 80s Invasion Tour is back in Spring 2017 with a brilliant line-up of 80s artists, and we’ve got tickets to be won. 80s stars on this year’s line-up include Paul Young, Martika, Toyah and China Crisis – Continue reading/Comp details here…
• This is Our Town Guildford: Interview: Martika Bringing the Party to 80’s Invasion Tour in Guildford: We caught up with 80’s pop star Martika, known for hits such as Toy Soldiers and the Prince-penned track Love…Thy Will Be Done, ahead of her appearance on the “80’s Invasion Tour”. The tour lands at G Live in Guildford on 13 March – Continue reading…
• Mirror: Paul Young reveals he loves touring and still gets knickers thrown at him onstage – The eighties singer, 60, on fighting the middle-age spread, not being ready for grandkids, and money worries – Continue reading…
• Cornfield Publishing: An Interview with Martika: Take a look at our latest interview where we had the chance to catch up with Martika, ahead of the ‘80’s Invasion’ tour, which kicks off in March – Continue reading…
• More 80s Invasion 2017: See all the dates and ticket booking links at toyahwillcox.com… Browse all of Dreamscape’s 80s Invasion tour news here…
The New Year brings a chance to see the Eighties new wave pop goddess, Toyah, unplugged and talkative at the Evesham Arts Centre.
As well as performing her hits, and other classic songs, all unplugged, Toyah will recall stories from her colourful and varied career, which spans 35 years. Toyah: Up Close and Personal will come to the Evesham Arts Centre on Saturday, February 11, from 7.30pm.
• Continue reading at the Evesham Journal. Browse all of Toyah’s confirmed live dates for 2017 at toyahwillcox.com.
Toyah takes Acoustic, Up Close & Personal into a fourth year with more live dates, through 2017, confirmed recently by the Breaking Through newsletter.
11 Feb: Evesham Arts Centre
1 Apr: Acapela Studio, Cardiff
26 May: Fairytykes Arts Centre, Hornchurch
23 Jun: Redditch Palace Theatre, Worcestershire
28 Oct: St. Edwards Church, Stow on the Wold
Toyah’s acoustic show has entertained numerous audiences with a mixture of songs and conversation from her varied career since premiering in 2014. Receiving great reviews and taking Toyah to hundreds of venues over the past four years.
• View more details on Acoustic, Up Close & Personal including dates, venues and links to book tickets, and browse all of Toyah’s confirmed live dates for 2017, at The Official Gigs page.
More big music acts and festivals are heading to Exeter this year – here’s everything we know so far
Festival season will soon be upon us and if you haven’t decided on which music gigs you want to go to this year – then here is a little help. Once again there are plenty of festivals to choose from in and around Exeter for 2017, with big named artists that are guaranteed not to disappoint.
Let’s Rock, Powderham Castle: 80′s festival Let’s Rock is back again this year bringing with it Tony Hadley, Howard Jones and Jason Donovan. The festival will once again take place at Powderham Castle on Saturday, July 1, and the acts that will be heading to Exeter this year include, Belinda Carlisle, Chesney Hawkes, Imagination, Big Country, From the Jam, Hazel O’Connor, Katrina, Jaki Graham and Toyah.
How do I get tickets and how much are they?: Tickets are now on sale here. General tickets cost £47.30. VIP tickets are also available priced £132.
• Continue reading at the Exeter Express & Echo. Visit the Let’s Rock Exeter website (Toyah is also playing Let’s Rock London this year). See the dedicated pages for both Let’s Rock festivals at toyahwillcox.com here and here.
There are just six weeks to go until the start of the 80s Invasion Tour 2017, with the first date taking place at Rhyl Pavilion on Thursday 2nd March.
The tour, with Paul Young, Martika, Toyah and China Crisis plays 15 dates all over the UK: Rhyl, Leicester, Stoke, Edinburgh, Shrewsbury, Chatham, Malvern, Basingstoke, Birmingham, Guildford, Aylesbury, London, Huddersfield, Newcastle and Liverpool.
• Click below for all of the venues, further info and ticket booking links at toyahwillcox.com. Browse Dreamscape’s 80s Invasion Tour news here.
Prince’s Park, Salford is now home to what organiser’s describe as “a boutique music festival”, also known as Irlam Live.
Taking place from Friday 2 June to Sunday 4 June, Headline acts include Jason Donovan, Alexander O’Neal and Odyssey. The weekend will consist of ‘Legends Friday’, ‘Soulfest Saturday’, and ‘Retro Sunday’ with up to 5,000 visitors per day finishing at 9pm each night.
Toyah Willcox is set to perform and Bob Marley’s Wailers will also be flying in from Jamaica!
• Continue reading at ITV News. See also the Irlam Live 2017 website, and dedicated gig page at toyahwillcox.com.
Toyah plays the Upton House Music Festival 2017 this Summer, as part of an 80s Extravaganza with Kim Wilde and Billy Ocean. The time schedule for the concert - taking place on Friday 9th June – has now been announced:
Event Timings for the 80′s Extravaganza
• 5.00pm – Hospitality gates open
• 5.30pm – Public gates open
• 7.30pm – Concert commences – Toyah on stage
• 8.00pm – 8.15pm – Interval
• 8.15pm – 9.00pm – Kim Wilde on stage
• 9.20pm to 10.30pm – Billy Ocean
• 10:30pm – Depart
Toyah Willcox: From punk princess to cult stage actress and high priestess of TV, Toyah is a uniquely gifted performer and an inextinguishable flame. In a career spanning over 35 years she has amassed 13 top 40 singles, recorded 29 albums and toured live across the world. Expect to hear hit singles,”Thunder In The Mountains”, “It’s A Mystery”, “I Want To Be Free”, ”Echo Beach”, and many more!
• NB: All timings above are currently approximate. Further info/Book tickets at the festival website. See also the festival Facebook page and dedicated gig page at toyahwillcox.com.