There’s so much happens in Toyahland each year it’s virtually impossible to whittle down the releases, events, appearances etc. to just ten, but somehow we manage it anyway.
Here are Dreamscape’s 10 most interesting Toyah happenings of 2012 (as I say every year, I’m sure yours will be different).
2. King’s Heath Walk of Fame: Toyah became the first inductee in July, received her star/plaque from ELP’s Bev Bevan and played a homecoming gig, her first ever, in King’s Heath, at the Hare & Hounds.
3. I Believe In Father Christmas: Marking the 30th anniversary of the song Toyah recorded for Pop Goes Christmas, and released as a single, Toyah’s 26th in the UK, in December.
4. Twenty Four From Toyah: Toyah’s Christmas gift to fans, a digital album of 24 rare live recordings from various gigs and tours spanning 1993 to 2012.
6. Toyah on Vintage TV: A variety of appearances on the music channel for Toyah in 2012: My Vintage, Pat Sharp’s Top Ten, The Janice Long Review Show and Toyah’s Christmas At The Zoo.
7. Sleeping Beauty: Almost 100 performances at The Marlowe Theatre, Canterbury alongside Gareth Gates, with numerous positive reviews. Definitely one of Toyah’s biggest, and longest running, pantomimes!
8. Toyah in Doctor Who (almost!): Toyah contributes to Behind The Sofa, a charity book of DW related memories. Toyah guests on four BBC America DW documentary specials. More Than 30 Years In The TARDIS is announced for DVD release.
10. Sensational: The opening song on Toyah’s 2008 album ‘In The Court Of The Crimson Queen’ is the soundtrack to a new Weight Watchers televsion as campaign in commercials starring Patsy Kensit.
(Main photo & photo 1 © PAC Photography, photo 4 © Ray Sears)